Sunday, March 29, 2009

Abroad... maybe two


I've lived in Southern Indiana all of my life. I was born in Deaconness Hospital in Evansville and I've pretty much always lived in the Evansville area. Being an energetic and restless teenager, you can imagine my excitement when I finally decided -- after much and difficult deliberation -- that I would be attending the University of Southern Indiana. Whooo freakin' hooo.

It was a big move, packing up all of my stuff in the car and driving the eight-mile trek from home to the university. Needless to say, Mum and Pop were pretty hesitant to leave me away at college and drive back to their empty nest. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, they didn't even come help me move in, probably because they knew it would be an emotional parting.

If you haven't picked up the sarcasm by now, you're probably dead, so you can go ahead and stop reading now. If you're still with me, shoot a quick glance at the pretty pictures (which, by the way, were taken from another website... probably illegally) and then keep reading to find out where they came from.

I think it's about time to get out of Southern Indiana for a while, see the world, you know... do all of that stuff young people are supposed to do.

So I'm working on going to Australia. I'm thinking this is going to be a study abroad trip to the University of Wollongong (think about how sweet those t-shirts are going to be!) during the spring of next year, which means that a year from today, I will be learning to surf in the South Pacific Ocean.

The Australian semester doesn't start until February, so let me tell you my plan that will surely be struck down once my mother gets wind of it. I'm going to sell my car (I won't be using it much) and leave the day after Christmas to head down there. I'll spend New Year's Eve watching fireworks on the Brisbane River with some beautiful Australian girl that I plan on meeting at the airport. Sometime New Year's Day, I'll find Crocodile Dundee, preferably still drunk from the night prior, and buy a motorcycle from him for cheap. Depending on how the evening went, I may take my beautiful Australian girl with me when I ride the motorcycle in a general southwesterly direction. At this point the sun will be setting, and, if shot from the right direction with the right lens, this will make a great photograph, which I will plan on uploading to this blog as soon as I find an internet connection, which may not be for a while.

I'll drive my motorcycle through the night into Outback, take out an order of two Bloomin' Onions, and then keep driving until I get to the Outback. When I get tired, I will lay down a few feet from the road and fall asleep covered in Off bug spray and looking up at the stars. The constellations and the moon will all look different and I'll fall asleep and dream of my toilet back home, which flushes counter-clockwise instead of clockwise.

By the time I get to where I'm going (the Aboriginal village), the sun will most likely be setting on the next day. I'll take my shirt off to show off the traditional body paint that my new Aborigine friends will give me. We will sit around the fire exchanging stories and smoking something hallucinogenic until we all fall over laughing except for the one guy screaming about green dragons in the corner. Of this part of my journey, there will be no pictures, partly because Aborigines don't like it when you take pictures of them, and partly because I don't want any future employers to see me doing drugs.

I'll spend the next month doing much the same thing, but I won't go into details because I actually want people to read my blogs for once rather than looking at them longingly before deciding on something better to do. Eventually, I'll end up studying Psychology at Wollongong, where I will spend a lot of time hiking, surfing, swimming, and introducing the sport of free running to the good people of the Gong. Can't wait.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you are taking the plunge. You won't regret it. Oh, and the way toilets flush depends on how the water comes out into the toilet. There was no difference between the US and NZ, some toilets flush clockwise, some counter-clockwise. Sorry to ruin what I'm sure you were most looking forward to seeing.

    I think everyone needs to get out of Southern Indiana and live, not just visit, somewhere for a while. Having also grown up in Evansville, I know many people who have lived here all their lives and plan on staying. While there is definite appeal to living your days in the retirement home with your friends you grew up with in elementary school, I think while you are young (college and right after) you should see the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the shower drains the other way, though. You know... that little tornado thing.

    You can't burst my bubble that easily, Michael.

    ReplyDelete